Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009)

You can tell, just from the title, that this movie is going to be one of those ones that confuse the crap out of you, which is exactly what it did. Many, many times throughout the movie, I found myself going "what?", "wait a minute...", "what just happened?" or simply "I don't understand!" I have a feeling that I'll be watching it again sometime in the near future to further understand it. But besides all of that:
The movie itself was very good. It has a weird concept to it, and it kind of reminded me of Inception a little bit. What happened was when a person stepped through a certain mirror, they would go into a land that created their imagination. The man who ran this had made a deal with the devil to live forever in turn for giving up his daughter when she turned 16. But now, he doesn't want to give her up so he has to find the devil five other souls.
The cast of this movie was superb. Christopher Plummer as the old man, Heath Ledger as a man named Tony, and then Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Collin Farrel as other versions of Tony.There was also Andrew Garfield, who I must admit is my new favorite actor, what with how much talent he has. He was also in The Social Network with Jesse Eisenberg and Justin Timberlake. He's one of those new up-and-coming actors that I'm definitely rooting for.
As many people know, this movie was dedicated to Heath Ledger since it was his last movie that he was going to be in. He died during the creation of it, then they decided to keep on filming instead of just giving up. There were times when the other three actors took Heath's place that I felt a tad upset, knowing that the only reason why there were in it was because Heath had died. But at the end, before the credits, when it said "A Film for Ledger friends," I did tear up a little bit.
This movie is great for anybody who loves any of these actors, especially Heath Ledger. They do a wonderful job of supplying the public with one last "goodbye" to one of the world's most beloved and talented actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment